Whether we admit it or not, we’ve judged a person without getting to know them first before. Though it’s human nature and instinct to do so, there are ways to be less judgmental and be a better person in general. Below are some tips to help you along the way.
1. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes and try to see where they’re coming from.
2. Don’t judge a person by their appearance. Character is what matters the most.
3. Realize nobody is perfect, even yourself.
4. Not everything you hear is true, especially gossip or rumors. Avoid engaging in them if possible.
5. Keep in mind that different people have different beliefs, dislikes/likes, and lifestyles but that doesn’t mean they should be treated less than you.
6. Get to know the person you find yourself judging and find similar interests.
7. Think positive and make it a habit to think the best of people. Try and find at least 3 things you like about someone and focus on those 3 points instead of judging.
8. You aren’t always right so keep an open mind.
9. Don’t be quick to make assumptions. Just because I’m wearing sweats in a store doesn’t mean I’m lazy. I could be sick or just having a relaxed day.
10. No matter what, be nice and polite.
11. Everyone deserves a second chance.